We are learning a new four letter word, of sorts, in our household.
It is G-I-F-T-ed. See, it almost can be categorized in that sense. It is a struggle between my husband and myself to come to terms with it's meaning, importance, relevance, etc...as it pertains to our children.
My latest 'quest' is to dissect enough information and apply it to our daily lives so that we can feel normal again. I feel like I need to take a course in "higher level thinking" in order to understand where my kids are coming from.
What really makes a Bill Gates or a Sandra Day O'Connor? Was their mommy involved in the PTO or did she work full-time? Did she push for academic acceleration or did she let her kids float through school without insisting they do anything but the required cirriculum? Were they self driven individuals or did they have a parent or teacher rallying behind them...pushing....prodding...encouraging...motivating?
Why is this not a segment on the Today show? I know more than my share of wardrobe do-s and don't-s. I still choose to have my comfortable-fashion faux pas, but I really don't want to screw up my kids.
When life makes me feel like all my balloons are loose, I feel comfort in knowing that it only takes pulling down ONE to make a difference in my day...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Yup. It is scary, terrifying actually, to have a gifted child. It's made more difficult by other parents making comments like "must be nice to have a gifted child." Uh-huh, you come live in my house for awhile. And if the child in question is twice-exceptional, it's even more wearing. And I wouldn't trade this experience for anything in the world. I'd just like a little more support from the world at large and a perfectly calm day. ; ) Good luck!
Who knows what makes a gifted child gifted. I truly think that kids are born with it, or they're not. I have treated all my kids CLOSE to the same. But even before they were one year old, I could tell a difference. I know that sounds horrible to say, but it is true.
AND I don't really think that there is too much to "do" with a gifted child. I think that they naturally drive themselves. I might totally be wrong in that though. I for sure don't have the answers.
I must be one of those moms letting her child float through.
Tough one. Do we push our kids into excellence or let them find it on their own? Hmmm...
Post a Comment