When life makes me feel like all my balloons are loose, I feel comfort in knowing that it only takes pulling down ONE to make a difference in my day...

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

The Name of My Game

About 6 years ago, I was at home with my 2 young children having a "mommy moment" of what to do next. It was a daily, if not hourly, occurrence for me. So much to do as a stay-at-home mom...top priority...keep children safe and happy...but after that it all became an emotional blur to me.

I called my good friend and mentor, Marcelle and asked what to do about this overwhelming feeling I had. She asked me to picture my feelings in my mind. I said that it felt like a room filled with loose balloons floating around and I was completely out of my mind in how to get through them all. She suggested, "Just pull ONE down..."

Ah, one. There was an idea. I didn't have to take all the strings at once? I didn't have to gather so many that I would float away from who I am to be everything to every one else?

What a liberating day for me. I don't remember what balloon I choose that day. Today I chose to start my first blog. My house is filled with empty notebooks and journals. I tend to gravitate to the computer each morning to check email and such. So today, I choose to take down the balloon that will take care of me. There are still a lot of others floating around the living room of my mind. Maybe I will pull down a few more as the days go on, but for now, this one is done...POP!!

4 comments:

Susanne said...

How nice to have a word is season from a friend!

Susie said...

That is such a neat title now that you explained its meaning. Thanks for sharing.

Barb said...

Reading this, I could just SEE all those balloons. What a smart mentor/friend you have to suggest you pull them down one at a time and not let them overwhelm you. I never would have guessed the meaning behind your blog title but I'll never forget it now. What a great story.

Jen said...

Yeah....I'ms o proud of you and your new blog......it's nice to have something for just YOU>>>>>I hope you have a ball.
Jen