This is my dilemma...
I have two school-age children and I don't have a job outside of the home. Now, my job within the home is very fulfilling, with the exception of cleaning things, unless I am in the mood. I love all the other things that I do; like paying bills, organizing, personal shopper, meal manager, scheduler, homework helper....you get the drift. But there is this part of me, a very much growing part of me, that says that with all the time I spend volunteering and taking care of everyone else couldn't I get a real job and get paid??? I'm talking the kind of job with flexible hours, so I still be home in time to get the kiddos of the bus. Of course, I would have to have all days off that they are home on vacation. OK, I searched for a year and that job didn't exist, so I was relieved for a while. Then it happened!!
I was at my millionth baby shower this year and a friend of mine said he was looking for someone to come into his office part-time flexible hours for $12 per hour..."Do you know anyone that would be interested?" So, I am thinking "YES, YES, YES, ME, ME, ME"....it came out..."I may know a few people." In all honesty, I did have a few people that really needed the job in mind, but come on, this is what I had been searching for over the last year. So any way, it wasn't available just yet, he said he'd get back to me around the time school started. Yes!! That was just perfect. I could enjoy the rest of the summer sipping lemonade and then fulfill my desire to GET PAID.
Here is where the dilemma begins...
Summer ends...I see my friend again...He says, "The job is available now. All I need is your resume." RESUME??? What resume???? I haven't WORKED in 9 years!!!! Or have I...?
March 1997 to present
Early Childhood Educator
Duties: Responsible for the physical, mental and emotional growth of children.
Accomplishments: Taught children to walk, read, share, play independently, sing & feel loved.
1997 to present
Domestic Manager
Duties: Responsible for finances, scheduling, organizing, time management, cleaning & cooking.
Accomplishments: Mastery of all computer programs and organizational systems available to mankind.
October 2004 to October 2005
Playground Committee President
Duties: Research, plan, raise money and purchase playground equipment.
Accomplishments: Raise $30,000 to buy 3 independent playgrounds for our school.
August 2004 to present
Tutor
Duties: Tutor children in the areas of reading, math, computer lab and cutting with scissors
Accomplishments: Helped every child in need for AR reading goal in my children's class make it. No one injured with scissors.
June 2006 to present
Campaign Manager
Duties: Implement any and all plans for the re-election of our State Senator
Accomplishments: To be determined on November 7th
August 2006 to present
Gifted and Talented Advocate
Duties: Research and pass along information to other parents in our community
Accomplishments: Went to my first meeting at McKAGE.
Hobbies:
Volunteering to the point that I often miss lunch, playing on the computer, painting a mailbox or flower pot when time allows, talking to my friend Jenny and flipping through my TiVo shows.
Needless to say, I passed on the job opportunity to the people who really needed the job and had a real resume'. I don't know that I am in that much of a crunch this year to find a real job, but after November 7th, you never know...
When life makes me feel like all my balloons are loose, I feel comfort in knowing that it only takes pulling down ONE to make a difference in my day...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I'm a hobby now?????? Ha Ha
I loved your post hilarious...I guess thats what mine will look like if I ever get bored and quit making babies.
Jen
Looks like a pretty impressive resume', if you ask me.
I'd hire you. :-)
It looks good to me! You're a Jack of all trades! Very skilled and experienced!
Great post.
Are you ever going to post again?????
Post a Comment